Computer Science and Engineering students at UC Merced work with the world's top computer scientists and engineers. Our faculty has developed a program of study that combines practical exposure to the most modern technologies available with a theoretical foundation that empowers students to master future changes and innovations as technologies continue to evolve at an astonishing pace.
Our graduates will have the tools and the insights to propel them into positions of responsibility and leadership across virtually any occupation.
Computer science and engineering constitute one of the strongest industrial sectors in the state and the nation, offering a broad spectrum of career opportunities. Education at UC Merced provides the opportunity to participate in innovative classroom learning experiences, to become involved in laboratory research, to participate with fellow students in team activities and projects and to interact directly with our remarkable faculty.
From introductory programming courses and architecture design experiences to research and team project activities, our students gain insights that allow them to excel all along their chosen career paths.
Computer Science and Engineering Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Computer Science and Engineering program at UC Merced will possess:
- Ability to apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline
- Ability to analyze a problem and identify the computing requirements appropriate for its solution; ability to design, implement and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component or program to meet desired needs
- Ability to function effectively as a member of a team to accomplish a common goal
- An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- Ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society
- Recognition of the need for and ability to engage in continuing professional development
- Ability to apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles and computer science theory to the modeling and design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices
- Ability to apply design and development principles in the construction of software systems of varying complexity