The Mechanical Engineering program at UC Merced is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.ABET.org.
Mechanical Engineering Educational Objectives
Within a few years of graduating, alumni of the Mechanical Engineering program are expected to:
- Practice mechanical engineering in a wide range of career options with federal agencies, private industries, and research institutes;
- Maintain lifelong learning including the pursuit of graduate education;
- Participate in research and development, and other creative activities to address technical and societal issues;
- Pursue entrepreneurial endeavors and leadership positions in their profession.
Mechanical Engineering Program Learning Outcomes
Students graduating from the program shall possess:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics;
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors;
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives;
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions;
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Visit the Registrar office for the latest catalog and School of Engineering courses.
Mechanical Engineering Faculty
For a listing of the School of Engineering Mechanical Engineering faculty.