Office of Assessment
Mission: Through its work with faculty and staff, the SoE Office of Assessment coordinates, facilitates and advances assessment practices and processes in support of evidence-informed decision making and planning. In keeping with the campus's Principles of Assessment, we advocate academic and administrative assessment practices that advance student learning, teaching, research and service.
- Provide strategic, methodological and logistical support for annual and periodic assessment activities that address priorities for advancing student learning and success.
- Effectively communicate assessment purposes, values, methods and resources within the school and across campus.
- Provide ad-hoc data reports and analyses in support of operational planning and decision making.
- Coordinate school assessment activities, both academic and administrative, in support of leadership priorities.
- Support institutional efforts to advance the sustainable integration of assessment into campus planning and decision making at all levels.
- Communicate UC Merced's educational effectiveness practices to external stakeholders.
- Consult on assessment planning, including methods, timeline, disciplinary or administrative priorities, and tools (e.g., focus group scripts, rubrics, survey questions).
- Provide logistical support for data collection.
- Prepare content for annual assessment reports and periodic review reports, including data summaries and updated outcomes (service or academic)
- Consult on response to assessment findings in support of continuous improvement in student learning and/or student success.
- Direct faculty and programs to relevant campus and professional resources in support of continuous improvement in student learning and/or student success (ex. CRTE).
- Facilitate program cohesion through support for developing course learning outcomes, syllabi and curriculum.
- Manage programmatic accreditation activities, including logistical and administrative support for self-studies and site visits.
- Monitor changes to accreditation policy and ensure continued compliance with updated criteria.
- Provide accreditation and assessment-related record keeping.
- Ensure websites and other communications materials meet accreditor expectations for transparency.
- Draft memos and other assessment-related correspondence.
- Develop and maintain websites and other materials describing program assessment practices, while maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Present at orientations, retreats, workshops and other related opportunities.
- Supply ad-hoc data reports and analyses in support of academic and administrative needs.
- Summarize assessment activities, academic and administrative, identifying relevant trends.
- Advise on assessment-related issues as relevant.
- Participate in institutional assessment committees and projects.
- Identity and implement assessment practices, processes, and tools that allow faculty and staff to focus on the most important elements of assessment: evaluating findings and identifying and implementing related actions.
- Promote use of assessment findings in institutional planning and decision making processes, as appropriate.
For these services, or related needs, contact the engineering Assessment Office.
Institutional information can be found on the campus-wide assessment site, including the following helpful resources:
Return to SoE Assessment Home.