Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for most up to date information about the fall semester.Campus ReadyCOVID Help


The School of Engineering faculty members may submit a request for visa processing on behalf of a candidate you wish to hire for a research appointment or on behalf of themselves. Below are a list of visas that Academic Personnel assists with:

J-1 Scholars: This is the most common status used for visiting international scholars and researchers at UC Merced. H-1B Employees: The H‑1B nonimmigrant status permits temporary employment in "Specialty Occupations."
Permanent Residents: This status is reserved for international faculty and staff who have been offered permanent positions at UC Merced.

If a faculty member would like to request a J-1 Visa for a candidate, please go to the J-Visa system and submit a request. For more information regarding visas, please visit the website of the International Office or email the AP staff at