Office of Assessment
Mission: Through its work with faculty and staff, the SoE Office of Assessment coordinates, facilitates and advances assessment practices and processes in support of evidence-informed decision making and planning. In keeping with the campus's Principles of Assessment, we advocate academic and administrative assessment practices that advance student learning, teaching, research and service.
- Provide strategic, methodological and logistical support for annual and periodic assessment activities that address priorities for advancing student learning and success.
- Effectively communicate assessment purposes, values, methods and resources within the school and across campus.
- Provide ad-hoc data reports and analyses in support of operational planning and decision making.
- Coordinate school assessment activities, both academic and administrative, in support of leadership priorities.
- Support institutional efforts to advance the sustainable integration of assessment into campus planning and decision making at all levels.
- Communicate UC Merced's educational effectiveness practices to external stakeholders.
- Consult on assessment planning, including methods, timeline, disciplinary or administrative priorities, and tools (e.g., focus group scripts, rubrics, survey questions).
- Provide logistical support for data collection.
- Prepare content for annual assessment reports and periodic review reports, including data summaries and updated outcomes (service or academic)
- Consult on response to assessment findings in support of continuous improvement in student learning and/or student success.
- Direct faculty and programs to relevant campus and professional resources in support of continuous improvement in student learning and/or student success (ex. CRTE).
- Facilitate program cohesion through support for developing course learning outcomes, syllabi and curriculum.
- Manage programmatic accreditation activities, including logistical and administrative support for self-studies and site visits.
- Monitor changes to accreditation policy and ensure continued compliance with updated criteria.
- Provide accreditation and assessment-related record keeping.
- Ensure websites and other communications materials meet accreditor expectations for transparency.
- Draft memos and other assessment-related correspondence.
- Develop and maintain websites and other materials describing program assessment practices, while maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Present at orientations, retreats, workshops and other related opportunities.
- Supply ad-hoc data reports and analyses in support of academic and administrative needs.
- Summarize assessment activities, academic and administrative, identifying relevant trends.
- Advise on assessment-related issues as relevant.
- Participate in institutional assessment committees and projects.
- Identity and implement assessment practices, processes, and tools that allow faculty and staff to focus on the most important elements of assessment: evaluating findings and identifying and implementing related actions.
- Promote use of assessment findings in institutional planning and decision making processes, as appropriate.
For these services, or related needs, contact the engineering Assessment Office.
Return to SoE Assessment Home.