The School of Engineering is paving the way for innovative and impactful research. Our list of strengths is long and includes research areas covering climate change and ecology; solar and renewable energy; water quality and resources; artificial intelligence; cognitive science; stem-cell, diabetes and cancer research; air quality; big-data analysis; computer science; mechanical, environmental and materials engineering.
The following interdisciplinary research institutes and centers provide the nexus through which faculty members affiliate to conduct in-depth investigations into a variety of societally relevant scientific topics.
- UC Solar
- UC Water
- Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS)
- NSF Crest Center for Cellular and Biomolecular Machines (CCBM)
- Merced nAnomaterials Center for Energy and Sensing (MACES)
- Health Sciences Research Institute (HSRI)
- Sierra Nevada Research Institute (SNRI) | SNRI Environmental Analytical Laboratory
- UC Advanced Solar Technologies Institute
- Spatial Analysis and Research Center (SPARC)
- Management of Innovation, Sustainability, and Technology (MIST)